These sausage rolls are made using Just Whole foods organic sausage mix which worked a treat in these homemade sausage rolls! The rough puff pasty is simple to make and the whole combination of pastry and sausages is taken to the next level with the additional ingredient of apple sauce!
Vegetarian ‘Pork and Apple’ Sausage RollsDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes 6 large sausage rolls and you will need a flat baking tray.
250g strong white flour
Pinch of fine sea salt
250g butter in cubes (at room temperature)
150 ml cold water
1 box Whole Foods Sausage Mix
175 ml boiling water
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large tbsp Apple sauce
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt. Rub 100g of the butter into the flour to create the texture of breadcrumbs. Add the water a and bring together to form a ball of dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 20 mins. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200 C/ Fan 190 C.
- Make the sausage by adding the boiling water, sunflower oil and applesauce to the sausage mix. Stir and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into a rectangle, about 50 x 20 cm. Cover 2/3 of the dough with slices of butter, then fold a third in, then fold the other third on top. Flip the block of dough over, roll out again and repeat until all of the butter has been used. This process is important to create the layers in the pastry, but as this is a rough puff neatness isn’t vital.
- Roll out into a rectangle for the last time, then take the sausage mixture and compact it into a strip lengthways. Encase the tube of sausage in the pastry, pressing the seams together to make sure there are no gaps at the end or sides. Slice 2 inch pieces from the pastry tube, then score a diagonal line across each one. Place the sausage rolls on the tray and bake for 30-35 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Enjoy served hot from the oven or cold. These will keep best in an airtight container in the fridge.