My idea of the perfect cookie is slightly crispy on the outside, super bendy in the centre and packed full of mixed chocolate chunks, just like the giant store bought ones… except these are better than store bought, even if I do say so myself! This recipe took many batches to perfect but is now my go to recipe for hitting those sweet cravings. Make the dough in advance to allow it to rest in the fridge overnight and by morning they are good to go straight in the oven for a fresh batch of cookies.
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip CookiesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes about 16 cookies (depending on how large you like your cookies). You will need a flat baking tray lined with baking parchment.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup dark muscovado sugar
3/4 cup fine white caster sugar
A pinch of sea salt
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
2 cups chocolate chunks of your choice
( a mix of dark, milk and white works best)
- Cream the butter and sugars together until fully combined, although not until fluffy as working the batter too much can cause the cookies to lose their shape when baked later on.
- Whisk in the egg, then fold in all of the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chunks to your dough and mix until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Using your hands or two spoons, scoop out a golf ball sized amount of batter and roll into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the batter and refrigerate the cookie balls overnight (or for at least 4 hours). This resting period allows the cookies to maintain their shape but stay soft on the inside during the baking progress.
- Once chilled, place the cookie balls on a baking tray leaving plenty of space between them (as they will spread, a lot) and bake at 160 degrees C for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tray. Enjoy!
- Chilling time isn’t necessary if you are short on time, however does result in a more successful bake overall.
- These cookies will stay fresh for up to 3 days in an airtight container… if they last that long!