Polenta cake is a personal favourite of mine. You wouldn’t know it is naturally gluten free so it’s perfect for those with allergens. The orange and lemon juice adds a fresh flavour that tastes brilliant served hot or cold with cream or custard, and reminds me of autumn so is perfect for this time of year.
Simple Orange & Lemon Polenta Cake (GF)Difficulty: Easy
This recipe makes approximately 10 servings.You will need a cake tin greased and lined with baking parchment.
200g unsalted butter, softened
100g Demerara sugar
80g fine white caster sugar
1tsp Vanilla essence
1tsp Almond essence
1 tsp baking powder
125g ground almonds
Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, then add the vanilla and almond essence.
- Fold the ground almonds, polenta, baking powder and orange and lemon juice Into the batter, and mix till thoroughly combined.
- pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes, until springy to touch and a skewer come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing to serve. Enjoy!
- Additionally you can drizzle over an orange syrup to serve, made by simmering 100g caster sugar with 200ml fresh orange juice over a medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring constantly. Delicious!