These chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow style French meringue topping and a gooey chocolate centre make the perfect treat for Halloween…or any time of the year really!
Scarily Delicious Ghost CupcakesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. You will need a muffin tray greased and lined with cupcake cases.
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g light brown sugar
140g self raising flour
35g cocoa powder
- For the French Meringue topping
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
100g fine white caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, then fold in the flour and cocoa powder to create a smooth batter.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to touch and a skewer poked into the centre come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before topping with the meringue.
- To prepare the topping
- In a bowl over a pan of boiling water (making sure that the bottom doesn’t touch) whisk the sugar, egg whites and cream of tartar together until small peaks form. This should be about 6 minutes over a medium heat whilst using an electric whisk.
- Remove from the heat and whisk for an additional 3-4 minutes until stiff tall peaks form.
- To assemble the cupcakes
- Cut a small hole into the top centre of each cake and fill the middle with chocolate spread (Vego is the most delicious!).
- Fill a piping bag (reusable) with the meringue and pipe in upwards motions onto the cupcakes to create tear drop shaped peaked mounds.
- Lastly, improvise with chocolate drops, chia seeds or black food dye to mark two eyes and a mouth onto each peak and finish off your ghosts. Enjoy!