These delicious no fuss, no-bake date bars are packed full of flavour and bring a boost of energy with them. The dates create a caramel like flavour so there is no added sugar required (depending on whether you opt for raw cocoa or cooking chocolate) and once made the pre cut squares or bars can be stored airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days… if they last that long!
No-bake Date Bars with Chocolate Topping (Vegan)Difficulty: Easy
This recipe serves about 8 slices. You will need a loaf tin lined with baking paper.
1 cup dates
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup chia seeds
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup oat milk
- For the chocolate topping
1 cup dark cooking chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a food processor, pulse the dates, peanut butter and chia seeds until finely chopped and mixed together.
- Add the oats and oat milk and blend again, just until fully combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and compact into an even layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once firm, melt the coconut oil and chocolate together in a pan over a low heat. The oil should help to enhance the smoothness and shine of the chocolate whilst preventing it from over cooking too quickly.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the refrigerated slab of date bars and gently smooth to the edge as evenly as possible. Return to the fridge and chill for at least another 3 hours, or overnight if able.
- Once ready to serve slice into equal bars or squares and enjoy! If the knife sticks too much, slightly wet the blade with warm water before slicing for a neater edge.