Not only do these eclairs taste good, the decoration is simple to do and effective! Though really, this recipe isn’t just reserved for Halloween, but any time of year!
Halloween Mummy EclairsDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes around 16 eclairs/30 profiteroles. You will need a baking tray greased and lined with baking parchment.
125 g unsalted butter, softened
125 ml whole milk
125 ml water
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
130 g strong white bread flour, sifted
4 large eggs
- For the filling
300 ml double cream/ cream alternative, whipped
- For the chocolate glaze
100 g dark chocolate
150 ml double cream
50 g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- In a pan, bring the butter, milk, water, sugar and salt to a boil on a high heat. Add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cook for a further minute, then remove from the heat.
- Leave the batter to cool slightly, then beat in the eggs one by one until the batter is a dropping consistency, shiny and glossy.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the batter onto your tray into eclair shaped lines. They should only rise upwards so can be fairly close together, side by side. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and prick each eclair with a skewer. Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 160 degrees C. Once the eclairs are golden brown, risen and crispy, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before filling.
- To prepare the topping
- In a pan over heat the cream and dark chocolate, stirring continuously until a smooth chocolate ganache forms. Leave to cool whilst you fill your eclairs with the whipped cream.
- Poke a hole either end of each eclair case and fill with the whipped cream. Once filled, dunk the top of the eclair in the chocolate ganache and refrigerate until firm.
- Over the chocolate topped eclairs drizzle melted white chocolate back and fourth to create a mummy style bandage effect. Add two dots for eyes to finish off, serve and enjoy!
- Uncooked Choux pastry will last for 1-2 days in the fridge, so save any excess batter to bake some fresh the next day!