This is my gluten free, milk free and homemade take on the classic shop bought Jamaican Ginger Cake. A slice of this is perfect accompanied by cup of tea or served warm with cream or custard. However you chose to serve it, it tastes delicious and the flavours are reminiscent of the holiday season, so perfect for Autumn/ Winter baking.
Golden Gingerbread Loaf CakeDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes 1 large pound loaf cake. You will need a loaf tin greased and lined with baking parchment.
100g unsalted butter, softened
100g golden syrup (plus extra to drizzle)
150g gluten free self raising flour (or ordinary self raising)
150g caster sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp ground ginger
150ml oat milk
1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a pan, melt the butter and golden syrup together over a low heat, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, sugar, ginger, and bicarbonate of soda. Gradually whisk in the egg and milk, then add the sugar syrup and combine to form a silky batter.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then remove, slice and serve.