Lentil & Chickpea DahlCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 tbsp of Bell & Loxton Garlic Rapeseed Oil (Or Similar)
1 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of Chilli Powder
2 tsp of Garam Masala
1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp of Finely Chopped Ginger
2 Cups of Red Lentils (Dried)
2 Cups of Green Lentils (Dried)
1 Tin of Chickpeas (Drained)
400ml of Coconut Milk
1 Tin of Whole Peeled Tomatoes
500ml Veg Stock
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and add the cumin, garam masala, cayenne pepper, chilli and ginger. Cook for one minute to create a sort of paste, then add the lentils and stir.
- Cook the lentils for a couple of minutes, then add the chickpeas, vegetable stock and tomatoes. The tomatoes may be a bit chunky, in which case you can use two forks to break them up into smaller pieces. Bring the pan to a simmer and cook for a further five minutes.
- Once the liquid has reduced slightly, add the coconut milk and leave to simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas and lentils are tender and soft, your dahl is ready. We recommend serving over rice, with a little bit of natural yoghurt to top, but it tastes great on its own as well.
- This dish also makes a great meal prep, so any not eaten on the day will keep well in the fridge for the next 48 hours.
Shop This Recipe
We have many ingredients you’ll need for this recipe and more now available on our website. Check out the recommended ingredients below: