Making bread is much simpler than most people expect, so I would encourage anyone to try! The Postal Pantry stocks everything you need to make this recipe and it is great for using with a bread maker or by hand. Whether you prefer wholemeal or plain white bread this recipe works well with any kind of wheat flour.
Easy Homemade BreadDifficulty: Easy
Plus 2 hours proving time.
500g strong white bread flour
2 tsp salt
7g fast-action yeast
3 tbs olive oil
1 tsp honey
300 ml warm water
- In a large bowl mix the flour and salt together.
- In a separate bowl add the yeast, honey and oil to the warm water. Leave for 3-5 minutes until the yeast is activated and the surface of the mixture turns cloudy.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the wet ingredients. Stir together with a metal spoon until combined, then tip onto a well floured surface and knead for around 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is smooth and stretchy, place in a well oiled bowl and leave to prove until doubled in size ( about 1 hour).
- Once doubled in size punch out the air and knead briefly. Mould into your desired loaf shape and place on a baking tray lined with compostable baking parchment. Leave to prove for a second time until doubled in size again.
- After the second prove bake at 220 degrees Celsius (200 fan oven) for 25-30 minutes until evenly browned all over. To test that the middle is cooked knock on the bread and it should have a hollow sound.
- Leave to cool before slicing for a cleaner cut… or just eat it after baking as it is equally delicious warm!
Your bread is safe to freeze for up to 3 months.