I remember eating these once as a gluten free option at a pizza restaurant in London and loved them. I then tried to recreate them at home and was surprised by how easy they are to make. You need don’t need many ingredients and although the original recipe uses Parmesan cheese, I have found that cheddar is equally yummy!
Crispy Polenta ChipsDifficulty: Easy
You will need a square baking tin lined with baking paper and a baking tray.
This recipe serves about 6 portions.
250g quick polenta
2 vegetable stock cubes (dissolved in 900ml boiling water)
50g cheddar cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Paprika
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to the boil and dissolve the stock cubes. Slowly add the polenta in a constant stream and cook for a further two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese, paprika, oil, salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine, then pour into a pre-lined square cake tin.
- Leave to rest for 1 hour, or until the block of polenta has cooled into a firm block. Cut in to thin chip shapes and place on a baking tray. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chips are crisp and golden.
- Serve with ketchup or spicy tomato chutney, and enjoy!
- Once the polenta have been cut into chip shapes they can be stored airtight in the fridge for up to two days. When needed, just place on a baking tray drizzled with some oil and cook for about 25 minutes.