The Postal Pantry stocks everything you need to make this recipe, just add egg whites. It’s naturally gluten free too, so perfect for those with allergens. Happy baking!
Coffee & Hazelnut MacaroonsDifficulty: Easy
110g blanched hazelnuts
225g fine white caster sugar
2 tbs ground instant coffee
2 tsp ground rice
2 large egg whites
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees c.
- First, grind the pre-blanched hazelnuts in a food processor until you have a coarse meal consistency. – You can easily blanch your own hazelnuts by boiling in water with a tsp bicarbonate of soda for 6 mins, then soaking in ice cold water to loosen and remove the skins-
- In a bowl mix the ground nuts with the sugar and ground rice, then stir in the unbeaten egg whites and the coffee powder. Combine to form a stiffish paste.
- On a tray lined with baking paper, spoon teaspoonfuls of the mixture about 2 inches apart from one another. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins until crisp on top.
- Leave to cool completely before lifting from paper. Store in an airtight container.
- You can easily blanch your own hazelnuts beforehand by boiling in water with a tsp bicarbonate of soda for 6 mins. Transfer to a bowl of ice cold water to loosen and remove the skins.
- If you do not have ground rice, simply pulse jasmine rice (or any other kind) in a food processor for a couple of minutes until a fine consistency.
- To make these vegan try using egg replacement powder in this recipe.