Quiche is a brilliant way to use up leftover perishable ingredients such as cheese, eggs and ham (in this case for a more traditional quiche Lorraine style filling). Though Quiche can often be daunting to make from scratch, especially when making your own pastry, this recipe is designed for a no fuss, swift and simple preparation and only takes approximately 45 minutes to bake. Served hot or cold this quiche is a success!
Classic Quiche with Simple Homemade PastryDifficulty: Easy
This recipe serves about 8 portions. You will need a round baking tin, greased.
- For the pastry
175g plain flour (plus extra to dust)
85g butter, cold and cut into cubes
3 tbsp cold water
- For the filling
150 ml cream alternative ( trust us, it works brilliantly! And it’s much easier to keep in the pantry!)
80g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 an onion, diced
1/3 cup ham or bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by making the pastry, rubbing together the butter and flour until a bread crumb texture (or for a faster approach blitz together in a food processor). Add the water and bring together to form a dough.
- The method I use to place the pastry in the greased tin may seem lazy, but it works for me every time. Lightly flour the bottom, tip in the dough and lightly flour the top as you ease it into the tin with your hands to create an even layer all the way round. For a smoother finish gently press the bottom with a spoon and then prick with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 220 degrees c/ 200 fan oven.
- Once your pastry has chilled, blind bake it for 10 minutes, then bake for a further 10 mins uncovered until crispy. Turn down the oven temperature to 180 degrees c.
- Sauté the onion and ham (if using) in the oven for 5 mins until crispy and browned. Scatter in an even layer over the bottom of the pastry case.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with the cream or cream alternative, salt and pepper. Add the cheese, then pour over the quiche filling in the pastry case.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, then once cooked and golden remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. Serve hot or cold with a side of salad or enjoy it on its own!