Full of flaked almonds, dried cranberries and candied ginger, these Florentine’s are sweet biscuits with a hint of spice and packed full of autumnal flavours. Whilst they may look fancy these are surprisingly robust with a nice crack and crunch to them. Whether you make them as a treat or as a gift they are guaranteed to hit the spot on those sweet tooth cravings!
Classic Cranberry, Ginger & Dark Chocolate FlorentinesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe serves about 18 . You will need two trays lined with baking paper.
50g unsalted butter
50g soft light brown sugar or Demerara
50g golden syrup
50g plain flour
65 g flaked almonds
40g sliced cranberries
25g crystallised ginger, chopped into small pieces
80g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ 160 fan. Line two cake tins with baking parchment.
- In a pan heat the butter, sugar and golden syrup over a low heat until completely melted. It should look a lovely deep butterscotch colour.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the flour until the butterscotch begins to thicken and lighten in colour.
- Add the almonds, ginger pieces and cranberries and combine until everything is evenly dispersed. Onto your lined trays, place a teaspoon amount of mixture well apart from each other and bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch them closely and be aware that the florentine’s will spread, a lot!
- Once the biscuits are baked and look golden and toasted remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on the tray.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Once liquid and smooth, dip the bottom of each biscuit in the chocolate and with a fork create squiggles before it sets completely.
- Once the chocolate has set firmly, enjoy!