Do not let the vegetable in the title put you off! This Cake may not be a usual sponge but it is light, moist and delicious. It utilises any extra courgettes you have left over… so technically it can count as one of your 5 a day..?! We think so!
Chocolate Fudge Courgette CakeDifficulty: Easy
You will need 2 round baking tins lined with baking paper.
This recipe serves about 12 portions.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in boiling water, cooled
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable or coconut oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup muscovado sugar
4 large eggs
1/3 cup plain yogurt
3 cups grated courgette
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- For the chocolate icing
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup oat milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and add the sugar, oil, courgette, yogurt and coffee.
- Add the chocolate chunks, then decide the mixture evenly between the two tins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack whilst making the buttercream icing.
- For the icing
- Using an electric whisk, beat the butter until smooth then slowly add the icing sugar until fully combined.
- Whisk in the oat milk to loosen the mixture, then add the cocoa powder until smooth and creamy.
- Stack the cool cake layers, spreading the icing on top and in between.
- This recipe also works well with GF flour substitute.